Tuesday, June 26, 2007

iPhone bound!

Well, enough details have now come out about the iPhone and its pricing that I think I've turned the corner.

The iPhone will work with existing Cingular/AT&T customer plans, and will add $20/mo. But currently, I am already paying about $20 per month extra for unlimited data on my current piece of crap phone, so presumably I'll be able to trade in that $20 charge for the iPhone and wind up with the same bill I have now.

I've also talked about the insistence on having the iPhone act as an EDGE modem for my computer, but I'm beginning to think that if the mobile version of Safari is all it's cracked up to be, I'll probably find myself using that less rather than more. For example, occasionally Mark and I perform Thawte notarizations, and in the past I have brought my laptop with me to Coffee Society in order to do the notarizations in real time. But so far as I can tell, there's no reason I couldn't do the same thing with just an iPhone.

I'm pretty sure the phone will be able to visit sites on the corporate intranet as well. I won't be able to bring up a terminal window, but then if I am in a position to be able to use my laptop to do that, I'm very likely somewhere where broadband is available one way or the other.

No comments: